Scholarships of £30,000 are available in physics, and £27,500 in maths, chemistry, geography, languages and computing for trainees who are starting their training in the 2017 academic year. These prestigious awards are aimed at high-quality graduates with a 2:1 or first-class degree, who are passionate about their subject and have the potential to be inspirational teachers.
Scholarships are awarded by professional bodies for these subjects, and scholars will be selected through an additional application and assessment process. Each scholarship also comes with a package of non-financial benefits, such as early career support and membership of the appropriate professional body. To apply for a scholarship and for further information, you should visit the appropriate subject association website:
- Physics – delivered by the Institute of Physics (IOP)
- Maths – delivered by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA), in collaboration with the London Mathematical Society (LMS), the Mathematical Association (MA), Maths in Education and Industry (MEI) and the Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
- Chemistry – delivered by the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Computing – delivered by the BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT
- Geography: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- Languages: British Council
The scholarship will be instead of the standard bursary, but trainees who are not awarded the scholarship will still be eligible for the standard bursaries.